For a while now, I’ve had different questions going back and forth in my head, I have had discussions with a couple of people to find out their own opinion about it, to find out if i’m the only one who finds these questions weird and why things just have to be that way and so I have decided to share it with my readers and get your own opinion about it.
1. Why is it that gossip sells way more than other news that add value to ones life?
2. Why are bride prices so ridiculously expensive and high?
3. Why do we feel the need to compare ourselves withe the Europeans?
4. Why do people feel the need to lie so much in other to get their way?
1. I seem not to understand why gossip sells way more than inspirational, political, and other news. But yet again, everyone wants to know what’s going on in every ones life. So I guess snooping around and hearing how a suppose perfect person’s life isn’t all that perfect brings excitement to us.
2. You go to some tribes/states in Nigeria and when you are told of how much one has to spend or give the family in order to marry their daughter, you begin to wonder if that daughter is for sale. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against bride prices, all i’m saying is people should start being realistic. I recently read an article where a prospective son-in-law who is a banker earning less than 300k monthly was asked to donate 2 million to renovate his soon to be father in-laws house. This was just one of the many other things he was given to get and do before he could go ahead and marry their daughter. If you task him so much and he eventually marries the girl and starts maltreating her and then goes “you belong to me, I have bought you from your family so please don’t complain”. Isn’t this more like what the family have done indirectly all in the name of bride price.
3. This one bursts my head all the time. especially when guys feel the need to tell us black girls how when you go abroad the bill is split between the guy and girl. Abeg did we beg you to take us out, If you can’t handle it, DON’T DO IT. Or the fact a black lady tells you how she can’t go to bed with you and you start the lecture of how Nigerian girls are long, like to form and are too difficult. Lets realize different cultures, different way of doing things. If you have a problem with how we behave, I believe you can always go the other way but the whole comparison is not called for. That is why they are Europeans and we are AFRICANS.
4. Last but not the least, I just can’t seem to understand this last one, a guy tells you how he’s single and all and come christmas or any long holiday you find out you were but the other woman AKA side chic.
Or a Lady who has someone she’s about to marry keeps leading another guy on. I feel life isn’t that deep. If you want something from each other, say it and let that other person know what’s on ground its either they agree or they don’t. But leading someone on and at the end sidelining them is just going to complicate that person’s life and affect his or her self esteem.
As I said, these are my own opinions to these questions, everyone has theirs, some may agree with mine or some of mine and others my outrightly disagree. We learn new things everyday and I would really love to learn of your own opinion on the matter so please read and share your opinion.